Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why there's always a disposable camera in my glovebox.


Southwestern Virginia. Some little bitty town along 81.

The four-foot midget (sorry, MIDGIET) was not in when we stopped by. In fact, my daughter was the shortest one there.

Guess I should comment on the quality of the photos you see here, especially since my best friend is a fantastic photographer and probably vomits when he sees my work here. My main concern is to document this stuff, not create the perfect shot. Whatever "composition" there may be depends solely on being able to read the thing -- though with this one, I like the off-center thing created by the Spongebob disposable camera. (Unlike my work, Bob's shot on the FRIUT STAND one below looks quite nice.)

I'm planning on getting one of those plastic Chinese Holgas soon, which will hopefully give this stuff a more artistic vibe.

2 comments:

James M Graham said...

As all the great drug gurus profess, there is "set" and there is "setting."

Mindset and Setting.

You capture both perfectly. Save the Holga for something else. Don't distort or date these National Treasures, less our "leaders" might think they are scott free.

Imagine that.

xo,
James

Toby Roan said...

Point taken.

T